Once again, I missed the What I Ate Wednesday party with Peas & Crayons. But, you guys? I’m making up for it with not only one, but two recipes!
Even though I’m not sure what the definition of South-Western food is, this salad has become part of our regular meal rotation lately. I’m assuming corn, beans and avocado are staples in kitchens of the American Southwest, so that’s what I’m going to call this combination. Feel free to educate me, if you know more! I’d love to hear about it!
Southwest Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup corn (thawed from frozen)
- 1 can kidney beans (drained well to remove excess sodium)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- extra sharp cheddar, about 3/4 cup, cubed
- cilantro (to your liking – I just garnished the salad with a little cilantro on top)
- salt and pepper to taste, chili flakes if you feel like it
- lettuce for layering underneath (I used spinach)
- easy Maple-Mustard-Balsamic Vinaigrette (*recipe below*)
- Cook quinoa according to instructions.
- Toss with the other ingredients.
- Scoop onto the bed of greens
- Drizzle with vinaigrette.
- 1 T grainy mustard
- 1 T pure maple syrup
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 3 T Extra virgin olive oil