Guess what… Funky Food Friday is back! If you need a super quick recipe that works as an entree, appetizer or party snack food, and if you like pizza, then this recipe is for you. Call it a cheater-recipe (using pre-made ingredients…), but I’ve been making these for a while now, because I find that pitas are closer to an Italian style pizza crust than any store-bought crust. And now, with a new baby at home, every dinner needs to be quick, quick, quick!
All you need is:
- pita bread
- garlic, if you like
- tomato sauce
- cheese (or cheese substitute like Daiya for a vegan pita pizza)
I usually buy the pitas from our local grocery store, which gets them delivered from a bakery somewhere around here and I think they sell for $2.49 for a pack of 6 ( larger size is $3.49 for 6). My favourite tomato sauce is the canned Eden organic pizza and pasta sauce. One of my yoga teachers told me that the lining in Eden’s tin cans is bpa-free unlike other brands, which is why I buy it, but the sauce actually doesn’t taste too shabby. For cheese, I always use shredded mozzarella and some other cheese. One of my favourites is Gorgonzola - mmmhhh! And for toppings you can go as crazy as you like. In this case, I used organic heirloom tomatoes and organic basil fresh from the farmers market, but you really can use your favourite toppings.
- Rub pita with garlic, if you feel like it
- top with tomato sauce
- sprinkle desired amount of cheese and add your second cheese, if you have one
- add toppings (note: I added my fresh basil after baking, to keep it from dehydrating and turning black), and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- bake for 8-10 minutes at 400°F/200°C
- enjoy with a side salad or on its own!
Previous creations include:
- Asparagus-Goat Cheese
- Cheese-Cheese-Cheese (all the cheese you can find at home!!!)
This can be very kid-friendly, too, by letting the little ones top their own pitas with their favourite toppings (cheese, ham, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers etc.).
Hope you like it!